I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Friday, September 17, 2021

Plant-based Products, Why So Expensive?


When I went vegan, I wasn't aware of the existence of faux meat a.k.a TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), soy protein (or whatever else us vegans call it) because when I made this choice, I told myself it should be my 'point of no return' or my efforts will go down the drain thus, a meat substitute never crossed my mind. I thought, If I will renounce meat from my diet, then I might as well avoid my pre-vegan nostalgia right? I went vegan in the first place for ethical reasons--I am done with all the animal cruelty and murder towards all the defenseless and voiceless animals who are also sentient beings not to mention  going vegan is the best resort for my heath since I am not getting any younger. But, I also asked this one question at one point, why are plant-based products/food so expensive?

As I wrote before, I never tried soy meat or any plant-based alternative to meat until after a year I went vegan that's why I did not really think about one of the most common perceptions non-vegans towards plant-based food/ products as being way too expensive/overpriced (which honestly they are) not just here in the PH but also in other countries. The reason being is the usual law of supply and demand. 

Producing meatless products cost more because the demand isn't as high compared to animal meat. I am glad though that the meatless and non-dairy industry is booming which obviously has something to do with the pandemic except I still cannot get over the fact sometimes that most vegan products  cost cosmic-high say for example a tub or pint of vegan/dairy-free ice cream costs double vs. its dairy counterpart which really makes me sad. If only more and more people will support the non-dairy industry then more companies will stop producing dairy products (totally eradicate animal agriculture) in order for the cost of non-dairy products be at par with their dairy counterpart. I still feel that the meat and dairy industry is still ahead of the game sadly despite the countless abuse to animals that we've seen on TV and pretty much all social media platforms. Most people would rather ignore these reminders because for them, their happiness while devouring their bloody steak and high on cholesterol lobster matters more than the pain these animals went through to address man's insatiable craving for animal meat. But then, to each his own. 

Going back, commercially produced plant-based products can be really costly not to mention they come in quite small portions. 

Do you know that you can actually make your own meatless meat out of all-purpose flour otherwise known in the vegan world as 'Seitan'? Don't fret though if you're allergic to gluten, you can always make meatless pork belly using wheat flour! I always watch plant-based recipes from this youtube local channel Healthy Foodie PH! Aside from homemade meatless food will save you a lot money, you can also make them double the quantity compared to the store bought ones, all you have to do is shop for ingredients and voila! Make some more before your vegan stash runs out. Or, the best way to go really is to simply eat fresh, green leafy veggies because you can always sauté, stir-fry, steam or do any recipe to your liking to your greens. Just don't forget to season them with mushroom granules which you can always shop for online. At least veggies don't squeal. 

As an end note, meatless products can be really expensive, but, let's bear in mind that if you can afford to pay for slaughter houses to kill more animals, surely you can afford to buy fresh veggies or shell out money for a kilo of Meat Magic may it be cutlets or flakes just saying. 😉



0 comments:

Post a Comment