I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Déjà Vu

Hi October. I thought I just needed to write a blog entry for this month since I didn’t have one last year. I’ll make it a point to post at least once each month, just so I can track my state of mind on a regular basis. Anyway, my sister was raving about this film called *Jailbreak: Love On The Run* yesterday and recommended that I watch it since it's trending on Netflix. So, I decided to check it out to see what all the hype was about. 


*Jailbreak: Love On The Run* is about Vicky White, a 56-year-old female jail warden who falls madly in love with Casey White (yes, they share the same last name, which is strange, I know), a 39-year-old criminal. She gave up everything to be with him, ultimately losing her life. From the beginning, I thought it was kind of crazy. First of all, she risked her 17-year career and was about to retire, all for a man she knew would lead to her downfall. I just can't wrap my head around why some people choose chaos when they could take the safer path for a reason. The two were absolutely infatuated with each other, which led Vicky to run away with Casey for 11 days until they were caught. A car chase ensued, ending with a crash, and Vicky allegedly shot herself, possibly realizing that it was the end for her anyway. Casey survived and, of course, got an extended prison sentence. 

I believe in concepts like twin flames, soulmates, reincarnation, regression, past lives, and a lot of new age ideas. I think that in each lifetime, we meet someone who feels like a long-lost connection, even if you’ve just met. I’ve always had this notion that our souls are recycled and go through purification until they’re cleansed. If life feels miserable, regression could offer a glimpse into past lives to explain why our current one is filled with struggles. I often think that we keep getting reborn, with faint memories of people, places, or events—basically déjà vu. It’s that feeling of having been somewhere or experienced something before, even though you can’t pinpoint when or where. 


I think Vicky and Casey were twin flames because of their significant age difference, something I’ve learned about through numerous Tarot readings I’ve come across on social media. It’s said that two people destined for each other will meet in different lifetimes, but it will be chaotic. The tragic ending keeps repeating until their paths are streamlined. They’ll continue meeting in other lifetimes, eventually ending up together, or something along those lines. No matter the circumstances, they are bound to meet again. It sounds crazy, like reincarnation. But how else can we explain cases like the story of that 5-year-old boy I read about, who told his parents that he had died in World War II and even named his siblings and parents from that life? When his parents investigated, they found that the soldier he claimed to be had actually existed, and the names he mentioned matched perfectly, even though he had no way of knowing these details. 


While watching the film, I had a creative thought about how I would make a snippet or trailer for this movie, I would use the car chase scene, with *About You* by The 1975 playing toward the end when the car crashes and Vicky dies. I love the irony of a subtle song playing in the background of a tragic scene, much like how horror movies often use sappy 1940s music amidst all the gore.



0 comments:

Post a Comment