I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Garden in the Sky

I haven't gone back to Tam-Awan/Artists Village a.k.a Garden in the Sky in ages. The last time we went there was way back 2009 during my sister and I's birthday back when we were still vacationing here up north and I can say a lot has changed.

Thank God I got off from work earlier than usual and my sister happened to be on leave 'cuz we have to take our niece around and a friend of hers to the city of pines and we thought of Tam-Awan Village as one of those eccentric and artsy places to go for aspiring photographers because of numerous possible subjects from art installations to nature etc.

The weather was good so that pretty much helped us did some up hill climbing and up up and away we went to almost the top of the village just to find that it was not the same as it used to be. Very few nipa houses left and the usual bridge was no longer there which we thought might've been ravaged by the typhoons that visited the north. I mean yeah it's been five years right?

Never the less the usual souvenir shop is still there and in addition to that a cafeteria is now being housed across the artists area (this is where the resident painters draw people's faces at a minimal fee). I'm not so sure how long the cafeteria has been there but It looks cozy and I wish we had more time to eat there to complete the experience. Just be nice to the resident black kitty as well as she joins in the crowd dining in at the cafeteria.Black kittie is just I guess welcoming the visitors and trying to find a living as well :)

I also noticed that the ticket cost is now higher but of course like I said it's been years since my sissy and I stepped foot there. Adult tickets is now at Php50 whilst for little kids Php20, students and seniors at Php30/ pax. I guess it's also a way to rehabilitate the village thus explains the price increase although I was just surprised that the village now has limited places to go as oppose to before. We were handed a map as soon as we got out tickets and we let our niece snap on those photos for as long as she wanted. We got really tired walking expecting to find the dream catcher area but we didn't so we decided to go back down. The absence of arrows leading the visitors made it quite difficult to find certain areas of the village.

Outside across Tam-Awan village where Kape Diperensya used to be situated is now replaced by a museum which again houses art installations by local artists then few walks away you'll find this waffle house which looks like your typical country style abode with this cute resident dog outside watching the day go by. How cool isn't it?

Oh by the way I got myself some keychains for Php20 each and this fridge magnet for Php70. Rule of thumb, make sure to buy yourself some souvenir from places you've been. In my case I collect fridge magnets so there.

Cab fare was Php85 from downtown one way. I wish we had more time 'cuz our niece is headed back down south today. She promised another visit by next month which is Christmas time though to finish were we left off. We also promised to take her to other amazing places she haven't been before here up north. Time constraints as usual.

It was rather a long productive day yesterday. Now it's my day off from work so time for some mind, body and soul recharge.



Tam-awan Village



  1. Address: Long Long Benguet Rd, Baguio, Benguet
  2. Phone:(074) 446 2949









posted from Bloggeroid

0 comments:

Post a Comment