I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Friday, November 28, 2014

Movies and the Yuletide Season


• Divergent •
(Based on Veronica Roth's novel of the same title)

Main Characters:

Tris - From the Abnegation faction, believed to be a Divergent.
Four - Instructor from Dauntless, also a Divergent.

Dystopian Chicago.
Every child is required to take an aptitude test at the age of 16 to determine which among the five factions they belong: Abnegation, for the selfless; Amity, for the peaceful; Candor, for the honest; Dauntless, for the brave; and Erudite, for the intellectual. Whatever is the result of the test, each individual is given the liberty to either stay with their family's faction or leave.

Tris and her brother decided to join the faction of their choice; Tris joined Dauntless while her brother Erudite. During the aptitude test Tris was found a Divergent which means she qualifies for not just one but 3 factions at the same time. She was told to never disclose to anyone otherwise she and her family would be in great danger because the authorities are after Divergents.

It was a long and exciting movie so i'll just fast forward, Tris fell in love with Four, her instructor, she almost got booted out of Dauntless because her scores on the tests were low but she emerged victorious in the long run, redeemed herself and evaded being factionless. Tris found that her mother used to be Dauntless and is a Divergent like her alongside Four. Tris' mother died whilst trying to escape because it was later divulged that Tris and Four were Divergents. Tris along with Four and her brother survived. Whatever comes next would be on the next chapter or book called Insurgents which hopefully gets it's own share of box office success if ever it turns out to be a movie someday.

I love this flick and yes I will watch it again if I have time cuz it's filled with suspense and made sense which is refreshing compared to other movies nowadays. Do watch this movie for a change.


• The Help (2011) •

My brain is not working good today so I'll just borrow this from wikipedia:

The Help is a 2011 American drama filmdirected and written by Tate Taylor, andadapted from Kathryn Stockett's 2009novel of the same name. Featuring anensemble cast, the film is about a young white woman, Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, and her relationship with two black maids, Aibileen Clark and Minny Jackson, during the Civil Rights era in 1963 Jackson, Mississippi who decides to write a book from the point of view of the maids (referred to as "the help"), exposing the racism they are faced with as they work for white families.

Skeeter successfully published her book whilst her mother is battling with cancer and it opened the minds of many people regarding the plight of the maids during that era. Her mother thanked her for bringing courage back in the family as it has skipped some generations. The setting was then the time when the fight for civil rights is going strong because of Martin Luther King (please refer to Civil Rights Movement 1963 in google).

This is one of the best and moving movies I've seen in a while and yes it was based from a novel by
Tate Taylor and it has won numerous awards and was a box office hit.


Happy Holidays...

Moving on, I have been busy doing some early Christmas shopping for myself and allocating money for xmas gifts as well. Yes it is 13th month pay season and money flies as usual.

Item #1

I bought our family dog Yumi her own doggie bed and got it for almost a bargain.

Item #2

Cord Holder/ Winder

image from google 
Purchased 3 sets for me and my sister's ipod and samsung charger. I bought it online for 35php each set plus shipping 100php! I'm a happy camper 'cuz it came in today, that was fast.

Item #3
KiteKat Catfood

I couldn't think of a better gift for our cat Atari but this because he consumes his cat food quite fast so I decided to get him a big bag. I bought the Mackerel one btw. 


Holiday beauty staples...


eyebrow - E.L.F Tame and Treat eyebrow Mascara;
eyes - Maybelline HyperCurl Volume Express (sorry
for my sleepy eyes, just tired for the day when I took
this photo :D )

The holiday season won't be complete without the holiday make up so I am beginning to also contour my eyebrows (not that I have thinning eyebrows but contoured eyebrows is IN). I am currently engrossed with E.L.F's tame and treat eyebrow mascara because it's very easy to use as it dries up pretty fast just make sure to cleanly finish the smudges with a liquid concealer or any concealer of your choice, LA Girl's PRO Concealer works best for me.







posted from Bloggeroid

0 comments:

Post a Comment