I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Sorta Pet Tag

I have been scouring the internet for dog and cat name tags and I found them pretty pricey. I understand though because they’re made from either brass or stainless piece of metal that’s why and the names are digitally engraved as well. The price is less of my concern actually because there are so many options online to choose from. The weight is what somehow bothers me most ‘cuz it’s made from melted metal. 

Our dog Yumi for sure is able to deal with that but not my cat Atari. He’s kind of easily bothered by anything dangling and trust me he is because the first time I gave him his collar, he went crazy over the jingle bell sound in his neck. I purposely wanted a bell in his collar so that everyone in the household would know whenever Atari is approaching. It is an impending disaster since Yumi and Atari are both residing indoors and they just won't co-exist peacefully. Every time Yumi yelps, Atari for sure is around. We just cannot resolve this anymore because Atari grew up without Yumi and vice versa. There are days when they don’t mind the presence of each other but most of the time they do. 

Ok, so going back, I thought of another DIY project for Yumi and Atari. Something feather light, something cute…hmmm..then I figured buttons would be the best match because it's round and I have those cute decorative ones handy, the ones I just bought from the craft store. I always make sure I have buttons for my DIY projects. 

Materials:
  • Button (about the size of a .25c coin)
  • Quick dry Natural/Clear nail polish
  • Baker’s twine
  • Candle
  • Print out of your pet’s name
  • Hair Dryer
  • Scissor

Cut the print out and make sure it fits the size of the button perfectly. The front should bear your pet’s name (font size should be at least 8-10 depending on how lengthy the name is) whilst the back should have the owner’s address and phone number. Make sure to limit the characters. I reduced the font size to 8. 

I used a baker’s twine so I could attach it to the collar. I lit a candle and used the wax from it so that the twine is able to pass through the button’s hole. It will serve as a chain so that the button dangles from the collar. 

The last step is to apply clear nail polish on the button to sort of glue the cut outs to it then apply a second coat to give the cut outs a glossy finish and also to avoid the paper from getting wet/collect dust. You may use a hair dryer to dry the buttons out or just let it air dry under the heat of the sun. Allow few minutes and there goes yer DIY pet tag. 








0 comments:

Post a Comment