I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, June 26, 2017

Macra Me

Living room macramé wall hanging set done  at last👆🏼
I'm really stoked with this whole macramé  wall hanging thing since I learned making one through Pinterest tutorials. The easiest pattern I learned easily was the knot I used for my jute twine plant hangers because it resembles a basketball net (I had no idea they're called macramé back then) and after further research I then realized some macramé designs can be really simple while the rest can be totally painstaking to make. I was just really eager to learn how to make these simple cotton rope wall decor now called macramé wall hanging because of my resolve to ornate our living room aside from I don't want to drill anymore holes on our living room wall just to mount a humongous mirror or whatever huge fixture. It's just not practical as the cost for most furnitures can feed many starving children. Anyways, going back, the living room is one of the most important part of the house therefore it shouldn't be bare.

More DIY Macramé...
Materials for these diy macramé wall hanging decor weren't tough to find, I just used twigs (mostly broken twigs from pine trees damaged by the rain) as dowels and cotton ropes which only cost Php25 per spool from the textile shop.  I finished the huge one in the center weeks ahead of the two smalls ones (thus explains the color difference, the center one is super white while off white for the small ones 😂) which I attempted to ombre using a purple dye. My knotting skill isn't advanced yet that's why I only used familiar and simple knots to finished off the small purple macramés. It was quite tedious to make because it will require you time but, if you like what you do, time will just pass you by if you're squeamish to see the finished product. 

The latest one I worked on is quite different because I just used cotton rope scraps (from small macramés I made above) so they don't go to waste and my remaining pine twig. I did not have any pattern in creating any of these macramé wall hanging decors. I just create whatever is on top of my head, they're all definitely randomly designed. I think this form of art is similar to painting/drawing, you just paint whatever  picture you have in mind because art is random anyways, just allow the creative juice to freely flow. There are days I have so many random concepts for my macramés that I can no longer contain thus gives me an impetus to create. There are also days when I have zero concept in mind and that's just the way it is. My sister seriously asked me to cease making more macramés because our house already has enough of them lol. 😬

Before I end this blog, let me just share this informative fact about Macramé I borrowed from Wikipedia:  

Macramé is believed to have originated with 13th-century Arab weavers. ... Nineteenth-century British and American sailors made hammocks, bell fringes, and belts from macramé. They called the process "square knotting" after the knot they used most frequently.

0 comments:

Post a Comment