I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Scam Alert V2.0

My sister recently sold her DSLR camera through OLX and yes it is really a risk to sell  goods online because there are tons of crazies out there you will come across with. You name it, they got it: joy reservers, bogus buyers and last but not least, scammers. I never transact offline because if the transaction becomes  person to person, it is already outside of the e-commerce site’s control in case trouble may arise therefore makes them off the hook. To simply put, it’ll be the buyer or seller’s security at stake (transact at your own risk). Point being, the buyer or seller may have to get in touch with law enforcers in the event a fraudulent transaction occurs and God knows how lengthy this  will take before it gets resolved ‘if ever’ the perpetrator will get caught.

Going back, I decided to intervene and took care of marketing the camera on behalf of my sister because the item is already taking too long on the listings page and one fine day I received a private message in OLX from a certain Mrs. Grace Aquino (This may just be an alias/moniker) asking if I could possibly email the item details to her and this is what she sent me verbatim: 

graceaquino156: I will buy this item from you. Please send your final price to my email address graceaquino156@outlook.com from your email address. Please use the item name as the subject of your email. Please don't reply here on olx because I can't check it due to the fact that I will be very busy at work. Only reply me directly through my email address graceaquino156@outlook.com God bless you, Mrs Grace Aquino graceaquino156@outlook.com

Sounds fishy right? I was curious and also squeamish to sell the camera I sent an email nevertheless to the email addy mentioned above with my limited details of course because I’m beginning to feel suspicious and this is her response:

Thanks for responding. I want to buy it as a gift for my folk that was transferred to study overseas as an international relations student in a reputable institute there in west Africa. I want you to deliver it via a reliable courier company with 5 to 7 days express service delivery. 

Please log on to the courier websites below and choose your preferred courier and postal service depending on whichever one is close to you;

UPS www.ups.com or DHL www.dhl.com or EMS Express www.ems.post/en/global-network/ems-operators/ems-philippines

Below is the information and address for the delivery;

Receiver: Collins Iyamu
Address: 6 Odunsi Street, Lawanson
City: Surulere
State: Lagos
Country: Nigeria
Zip code: 23401

I want it posted with 5 to 7 days express delivery so reply as soon as possible and let me have the total cost.

How can I get the money through to you? I prefer to pay you via bank to bank transfer because it is safe, reliable and very convenient. If my preferred payment method is ok with you then please send me your bank account details as it is written below;

Account name:
account number:
Bank name:

Thanks and God bless you,

Mrs Grace Aquino

It's such a shame if you will fall for this right? I mean, why would a seller in the first place go through the odds of shipping an item without even receiving a payment for it, really? This email justified my suspicions further. I have worked for an e-commerce website before and shipping an item to Nigeria is a 'red flag' because the moment the seller sends the item to this country, it gets lost somewhere in the planet and the poor seller in return never receives any payment for his/her item so BEWARE. They also often target high value items and their common denominator fyi, they ask for your account number. Fortunately, as soon as I read this email (of which I have no intent of participating) the camera just got sold to a legit buyer and was picked up and paid for that same day. 

SO, what to watch out for in transacting with buyers online? Legitimate buyers do not say ‘i’ll take the item’ upfront. Item collection/pick up in my opinion may be the safest way to go as it is paid for in cash and it’s a spot on payment, you hand the item to the buyer and in return the buyer hands you the payment (just be very discriminate when it comes to counterfeit bills). I hope this blog is helpful to other online sellers and buyers out there, do not trust anyone no matter how ‘nice’ they are.   




0 comments:

Post a Comment