I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Monday, July 15, 2024

Life So Far

I can't believe we're already halfway through the year again. Anyway, I've been busy saving the world, three cats at a time (well, two kittens and one adult cat). The kittens have gained some weight, which makes me happy. We have been gradually introducing them to our two resident cats to avoid literal cat fights.

I've been listening to a lot of music lately because I find comfort in it. Recently, Billie Eilish's "Birds of a Feather" has been playing frequently on my Spotify playlist. Its catchy tune has made it my latest earworm. I don't mind, though; it's melodic and relaxing, perfect for the cold, rainy, and gloomy days we've been having. Initially, I thought it was another catchy love song, but my curiosity led me to discover that it's actually about sibling love. Billie wrote it for her brother Finneas, as they have been close since childhood. 

This song goes out to my sister, who has always been there for me despite being stoic to a fault. She always said I was angry all the time and has coped with my hormonal imbalances, listening to my rants and all. As I've gotten older, my musical tastes have evolved, and I'm now open to other genres. I've realized that there are great mainstream musicians who, while commercially viable, still have deep influences. Billie Eilish, for example, can really sing and hit high notes, unlike many others who rely on auto-tune.

Meanwhile, I've recently rekindled my interest in collecting things. I used to collect fridge magnets, but the pandemic dampened my enthusiasm for travel. My passion for collecting was reignited when I discovered these toy figures called Hirono, which come in multiple series. At first, I thought they were just toys for the young at heart, but then I realized each one has depth and seems to represent people left in a dystopian world. I've always been fascinated by steampunk, and these Hirono figures are like a neater version of that. 

My goal is to collect only the pieces that resonate with me because I want to collect, not hoard. There's a big difference. I recently purged my life—or rather, my closet and space—so I have no room for things that don't spark joy in my life. As Marie Kondo says, joy is personal, and everyone experiences it differently. She describes it as “…a little thrill, as if the cells in your body are slowly rising.” By selecting only the things that inspire joy, you can identify precisely what you love and need.



0 comments:

Post a Comment