I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

life and other drugs

An appointment with the doctor is always a pain and gruelling hours spent. It just defeats the purpose of setting up an appointment really. I don't know but I guess it's just the doctor shortage round here that's causing the clamor every time.

Anyways, for as much as I hate going to my endoc I have to cuz I am on hormone replacement meds so I guess I don't have much of a choice so sorry for the rant I just have to say this to somehow appease my annoyance. I am currently on levothyroxine to address my low TSH level and weight gain post my RAI. So, my endoc increased my levothyroxine intake from 50 to 100 mcg which eventually has taken quite a toll on me.

For two consecutive days my head pounded which made me suspect it's the increased dosage. I gained weight these past months thus explains why my endoc increased the dosage and I also came from an operation a month ago which might've also contributed to my slight weight gain.

I resulted to Google rather than ask my doctor cuz it's such a pain setting up an appointment. I've read forum after forums and they suggested I go see my endoc asap. Because it's such a hassle, I decided to work things around and use my common sense.


I read that any medication with iron content may be causing the headache once taken alongside levothyroxine. I am taking centrum multivitamin and it contains iron. I reckoned that might've caused the slight head twitch or something. I later on decided to take centrum 4-5 hours after and yes the headache dissipated like magic.

I therefore conclude (as if it was a science project) that I did get the correct dosage. I also realized that my endoc may not be aware that my body would react differently when he said that I have to take my multivitamin after breakfast as it may have caused conflict with my levothyroxine intake (I take it 30 minutes-1 hour before breakfast). I guess it may also be on a case to case basis as well.


Setbacks? I feel sluggish, sleepy mostly everytime I take levo and as a way to combat my sleepiness (as I work early morning shifts), I drink black coffee as 3in1 coffee is no longer recommended for peeps who underwent gallbladder removal as in my case. I also told my sister the slight depression that I felt during my 3-4 weeks taking levo for some reason and of course I've googled it beforehand that It's the low TSH level associated with my post RAI treatment/thyroid ablation. I did not notice that until after I read the side effects mentioned on forums I came across with although I am wondering myself where the negative emotions are coming from because I am sappy person on a normal basis.

To sum it up, my endoc did give me a heads up that my FT4 level is now normal which means I am no longer Hyperthyroid but It's the weight gain he's mindful about cuz that's the primary reason why switched endoc, I became Hypothyroid at one point due to over medication.


I'm still having second thoughts if I still wanna go back to my current endoc next month cuz I feel fine and I think weight gain is partly within my control although partly hormonal. Don't get me wrong, I just think that it doesn't make sense that I subject myself to needle pricks all the time due to frequent blood test if my endoc himself confirmed that I am now thyroxine free?


Ok, nuff of the medical terms and as I said before I should've pursue my dream of becoming a doctor as a kid because of my curiosity curing myself and others. I can't help it. Weird as it is. It may have been my past life hihi.

On a lighter note, my sister bought these cute mason jars from this online shop on instagram called @candyglamshoppe for the two of us at Php380 a piece (plus shipping). I loved the one I got although I didn't realize that 20oz is kinda big. Nevertheless, I don't care and I am currently using mine in the office which creates curious stares from officemates and I can somehow read their minds..they might be wondering where I got mine from? Teehee.



posted from Bloggeroid

0 comments:

Post a Comment