I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Farewell Jack, I Hope You Had A Wonderful Life

R.I.P Jack....I will miss you so.... redface
It took me a while to write this blog because I needed time to grieve. My sister's dog Jack, (which happened to be my fave dog as well)  recently passed away due to CDV (Canine Distemper Virus), a deadly virus which only afflict dogs. Once your dog acquired the virus, there's no cure but putting your dog to sleep. T'was really hard because I'm not sure if Jack got the virus from the veterinary hospital or it has been dwelling in his miniscule body.  Jill (Jack's sibling), eventually died of the same. We took Jack to the vet roughly a week after Jill's death due to a failing health. We assumed it's possibly 'cuz he's missing Jill. Animals have this weird behavior after one of their kind passed away, they seem to look for their companion like humans do. Jack was confined for three days (if I'm not mistaken) but went home safe and sound. He needed to recuperate for few days but after then he's back on his feet chasing our cat Atari as usual. Few days later he stopped eating. My sister noticed his breathing isn't normal--he's heaving and panting which made us worry.  My sister and I decided to take Jack to the vet again to see what's wrong this time. A blood test was done and from then we found out that he's caught two viruses, one curable and the other one isn't. We were devastated when the vet recommended to put Jack to sleep. My mind had a hard time processing it because Jack is a playful dog so who would ever thought he's been sick? I thought, It wasn't fair 'cuz we just lost Jill and we can't afford losing another one. cry It was really difficult to accept and what's even harder was, we need to decide right then and there whether to put him down or not. I refused of course although I knew back then Jack's case is hopeless, all we need to do is to accept it. The vet prescribed some more meds to at least ease Jack's pain. I knew he's dying, I knew it will only take hours before the virus totally consumes his body. I felt really guilty for prolonging Jack's agony but putting them down isn't easy even with animals. Early morning of September 8th, while fast asleep, my sister knocked our door to tell us Jack's condition is aggravating and the poor dog seemed to be in so much pain. No matter how hard it was for me to see him in pain, I tried my best, got up and checked on Jack. I saw him lying on his mat, he's already very weak and his body is already turning stiff and cold which I know his time will be up soon. T'was really heartbreaking. I tried to close his eyes and I told him to go if he's really tired but he's reluctant no matter how weak he's turned. Watching him is like watching a candle melts slowly. sad I went back to my room and soon after I closed the door my sister saw him walked towards my door wiggling his tail as if asking her to open the door so he could say goodbye. We all told him to rest and we'll be alright. It didn't take long, Jack passed away after he said goodbye to all of us, his human family.  I got up again no matter how heart wrenching it was to see him lifeless but I helped my sister out to give Jack a decent burial. We wrap his body in a towel and waited the next day for him to be buried where his mom Harriet and sister Jill lies.  Up until now we're still thinking that Jack might've gotten the virus from the veterinary clinic because on the same day he was discharged, another very sick dog afflicted by CDV came in.  Lesson learned--complete vaccination is vital for dogs as it will serve as their immunity against deadly viruses such as distemper. We all miss Jack, he's only been five years and nine months old. He gave us joy and he deserved freedom from pain. cry







0 comments:

Post a Comment