I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Rainbow Bridge

ILY Brandon to the moon and back. I will miss you...
Hello. Let me greet everyone first a belated Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. One more day to go before we bid 2015 adieu. 

It would have been a merry christmas for me though hadn’t for Brandon, our family dog's untimely demise. I somehow saw it coming although at the back of my mind there was at least a little glimmer of hope that he’ll last for at least few more years.

I wrote about Brandon’s ordeal on my previous blogs such as how he survived liver and kidney failure. It’s only been a couple of months since we moved to our new house and it’s such a sad, sad thing that he only lived here for that long. He was ok a week after he finished taking all his meds and all. He was walking although his legs were not as strong anymore due to his old age perhaps, he’s 10 years old. The vet advised to have his vaccines updated, to have him dewormed etc. I was apprehensive and the first to object because he’s ten and that he just got his strength back. My siblings decided to go ahead probably thinking that would help. I understand their point although my doubt remained. We all want what's best for him.

He was ok after his 5in1 shot with anti-rabies for a week. After five days, as per the vets advise, we had him dewormed and that’s when the dilemma started. We noticed his lack of appetite again and in just few days he was back to the way he was so we rushed him to a different veterinary clinic because we totally lost our trust to the previous vet clinic who treated him initially. When we took him to the new vet he wasn’t feeding anymore, unable to stand and all. He seemed to have lost all his strength. We were disheartened with what we saw because the symptoms points to kidney and liver failure all over.

The new vet clinic we took him to said that tests should’ve been done first prior to the shot/vaccine to make sure he’s all well. That, the dog’s good appetite is not an indication that he’s well as there might be underlying problems since he  just got back from treatment. We were so aghast that we trusted an expert not knowing that would cause Brandon’s life. We kept him at the vet a day before Christmas hoping that he’ll still make it no matter how our hearts were bleeding to see him in such poor state. We kept asking for updates from the vet the whole time he was confined yet the most daunting news came three days ago, he passed away Sunday morning around 8 a.m. We were all devastated to hear the news. We lost him a couple of days after Christmas. I remember one time my sisters and I asked our Mom in heaven to at least let Brandon live until Christmas if not longer. She did grant our wish but eventually that’s all God could possibly spare, only until Christmas. We thanked our Mom and of course the Almighty for those wonderful ten years we spent with Brandon. His service was truly honorary, his loyalty and all out protection we will never forget. My sister said Brandon will now head off to his destination, the Rainbow Bridge, this is what they call animal’s version of ‘heaven.’ 

I thought (to console myself), Brandon’s mission might’ve been finished. He might’ve thought that we’re better now and that he can finally rest. But then, I will miss him badly. He’s got the loudest and deepest bark in the neighbourhood. The neighbours even stare at him in awe because he’s the biggest one round here. This is also the reason why I prefer smaller animals, ‘cuz you feel the loss big time the bigger they are. I don’t wanna be sad but I am, I can’t help it. I just think that animals entrust their lives to humans, they can’t complain, they can’t talk, they only wail if they are in pain. I just hope that those people you call ‘experts’ when it comes to animal care should be far more careful with their what they say because it may cause an animals life as in the case or Brandon. An obvious malpractice.

I think my Mom finally walked him down the rainbow bridge. To a world where he's now free from suffering and his weary body finally came to rest if such realm ever exist. This gives me a reason to believe that somewhere out there, there's a place for them.

Nevertheless, I am wishing you guys a Happy New Year. Be safe and keep your pets somewhere safe as well, away from the noise for as much as possible because they get totally stressed out during NYE due to the thundering sound made by fireworks. Our dogs do and so as our cat. The noise is like world war for them. 

I’ve seen a lot of pets being rushed to vet clinics by the way due to digestive problems over the holidays. Please, let’s be careful with what we feed them. Like I said, they can’t talk when they're in pain so let’s not subject them to health constraints amidst all the merriment ok?

It’s the year of the Monkey this coming 2016, my birth year. I hope the new year will be good to me and my kins, to everyone, to the world. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment