I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Chasing Shadows

I vowed not to take down this blog because I lack time to write, just as I no longer have time to read. So, here I am, ensuring its continuity. I'm thrilled to be back on the morning shift; oh, how I missed the warmth of the sun and the light of day. The graveyard shift, I suppose, no longer suits me because it turns me into a manic-depressive person, which is not who I am meant to be. Though naturally cheerful, the gloominess of the night took its toll on me.

Anyway, the recent total solar eclipse captivated the world, as it occurs only once in a lifetime, with the next not happening until 2044. Having witnessed many eclipses, I'm not as awestruck like I have not been eversince. I recall my grade school days when the entire class was asked to watch the eclipse. We went out, each clutching a piece of film negative in our hands, mostly excited (except for me because it was scorching hot outside) to see the eclipse. It didn't thrill me back then; I was just a kid, and it didn't mean much to me. I found a trip to the Planetarium in Manila much more fun, lol. Now that I'm older, an eclipse holds a different significance for me. It reminds me of how humbling it is to be a part of this vast universe, where our existence may seem insignificant.

Speaking of the universe, I read long ago that humans were considering Mars, a planet with both air and water, as another potential home in case Earth becomes uninhabitable. This notion makes me ponder. Instead of caring for our planet, some would rather seek refuge on another, which seems utterly impractical. Even if it were possible, how could ordinary people afford such a move when Earth is densely populated, with most struggling to make ends meet? Anyway, the recent eclipse was spectacular, indeed stellar. I watched the videos on social media, and everyone cheered the moment the moon passed between the Earth and the sun, and then, there's darkness. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment