I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Thursday, February 2, 2017

And So It Is

And so it’s February, the love month.

A lot of things went on around the world since my last blog post, from Trump’s executive order on immigration down to the recently concluded 65th Miss Universe held here in the Philippines.

finished product. my diy
 crocheted dream catcher 🙃
I’m really not happy with what’s going on in the U.S lately since Trump started his reign as President which was of course a cosmic surprise to me. The order suspended the entire US refugee admissions systems for 120 days and  also prohibited entry of citizens from the seven Muslim-majority countries namely Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and Iraq to the U.S for 90 days which means that even if you’re already a green card holder or an American citizen yet happened to be a Muslim then travelled outside of the U.S, you will not be allowed re-entry for three months. I mean WTF? Immigrants took 10 years before they became green card holders just to be denied their constitutional right to go back to their now country because the new U.S President believe that this is a precautionary measure to prevent the 911 attack from happening again. Oh wow, it’s been 16 years overdue plus Trump is totally missing the whole point because none of those seven countries was the home-base of the nationalities who carried out the 9/11 attacks as they were from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Egypt.

🤡  ðŸ˜‚   ðŸ˜‚   

Some Americans stressed out, what if you attended a funeral or flew outside of the U.S for a business trip? Does that mean you won’t be able to come back to the U.S if you are a Muslim until after three grueling months which is long enough for someone to lose his or her job. This travel ban is totally ridiculous and unconstitutional. I read that the British people are signing a petition to prohibit Donald Trump from entering the UK shores. I think this executive order will also cause the lives of many refugees trying to get out of their country to escape the war. This is very heart breaking because this is not what humanity is all about, where is compassion? A lot of refugees fled from their countries because they’re hoping for a better life. I watched this Tehran movie one time and learned that they scurry to their basements once the siren wails as it’s an indication of another missile strike. What would you do given the situation but find a better life someplace else.

On a lighter note, the 65th Ms. Universe...

I have long forgotten that the next host country for Ms. Universe is often the country where the last Ms. Universe hail from unless there’s a valid reason not to (natural calamity or economic crisis probably?) since the last time I watched Ms. Universe was way back 1994 which was also held here in the Philippines wherein Sushmita Sen (Miss India) won. I used to watch Ms. Universe when I was still a kid every year and I mean consistently each and every year because I always look forward to the evening gown part for some reason. I guess that’s the way it is with little girls, you think the contestants are Barbie dolls decked out in colorful and elegant costumes. 

Going back, Maxine Medina represented the Philippines despite speculations she will not make it ‘cuz she’s not fluent in English. I thought, why not give her a chance and let’s see how it goes before judging her although it’s a given that the Q&A portion is a make or break part as it separates the beautiful from the articulate ones. Since we are the host country (I figured) the farthest Maxine would go, if speaking in English is really a challenge for her is to make it to top 6 which she eventually did. I would say the questions given to the candidates weren’t actually a no brainer as those will require you to have very good logic and must be abreast with current events and I think this is where Maxine fell short.  She was beautiful and projected very well on stage hats down however she did not nail it during the Q&A portion not just because she did not make use of the interpreter, her response to the question was somehow irrelevant which I understand because she was obviously nervous and I would, of course, feel the same given the situation. Nevertheless, I admire Maxine for trying and I saw how she did her best 101 percent.

my version of flat lay
Everyone had mixed reactions after the Q&A portion: Some netizens said, Maxine should’ve just spoken in Tagalog whilst some said even if she had an interpreter if she’s clueless about the question then speaking in vernacular won’t help or that she’s not brainy enough yadda yadda. All candidates had butterflies in their stomach of course and it wasn’t just Maxine who was nervous, some stuttered, some groped for words. Pia Wutzbach was also nervous, so as Steve Harvey, I mean who wouldn’t?  The question thrown at Maxine was about the significant change she may have noticed within the past 10 years on a global perspective,  she answered that it was the ‘unity’ she saw during the Ms. Universe beauty pageant. Others said she could’ve answered women empowerment or social media. I would’ve answered women empowerment because over the course of ten years more and more women are joining the army, politics etcetera, but, I wasn’t Maxine lol. Like I said, it’s totally different if you’re on live TV and is being viewed by billions of people all over the world. So, for those who are saying that the question
was easy, try joining Ms. Universe and let me know. Anyways, Ms. France bagged the Ms. Universe crown. Based on the Q&A portion my bet was either France or Colombia but the later won 2nd place and Ms. Haiti won first place. Ms. France,  among the three ladies gave a better answer, not really the best but better than the other two just in my opinion. She said having no borders is good so people across nations are able see what’s out there which is very timely nowadays since the U.S just closed its borders to refugees and immigrants because of Trump’s executive order.

Moving on, I am working on my new project which I am yet to decide whether to turn it into a dream catcher or a center piece. If it gets big enough (as in the size of a plate) then I will use it as a center piece maybe. My other recent project is my blog header. I decided to channel flat lay lol to best describe what my blog is really all about which is travel, crafting, succulents and pretty much everything under the sun.

center piece or dream catcher?



0 comments:

Post a Comment