I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Yangon to Bagan, Myanmar. 

My sister and I planned this trip on a whim, booked a ticket and only had eight days to prepare. We’ve been yearning to go to Bagan long before but the cost of airfare isn’t cheap as there are no direct flights from the Philippines to Yangon. You have to fly to Singapore first, then Yangon then a nine hour bus trip to Bagan. I love adventures so hopping from one place to another would be a delight for me no matter how exhausting it would be. My sister booked our plane ticket whilst I booked all our hotel accommodations and bus ticket to Bagan, call it division of labor, each should have a dedicated task so we’re not in disarray. We’re just gonna back pack, no check in luggages just couple of knapsacks, shoulder bags, neck pillows and that’s it.

JJ Express VIP Bus 

photo courtesy of JJ Express
Our plan is to stay for one night in Yangon, take an overnight VIP bus via JJ Express to Bagan the next night (which I have already pre-booked on Facebook over messenger), stay in Bagan for couple of days, then, take another overnight bus back to Yangon on the third day. Speaking of JJ Express VIP bus, it was a breeze reserving a bus ticket online, all you have to do is search for their Facebook page and make your reservation over FB messenger. They will  send in a photo file of the available schedules, ask you to take your pick, send in your seat number then advise you to pay for your reservation at the designated gate once you’re there in Yangon/Bagan. I even requested a seat right next to each other for my sister and I and it was no problem. Btw, I also opted for a roundtrip reservation so all we have to do is to pay for them once we reached the bus station on the day of our trip Yangon-Bagan and vice versa. 

Tigerconnect

This is an optional service offered by Tiger Airways for connecting flights with a layover of over 8 hours which you may pre-pay or pay as you go at the airport. It is already included in your airfare btw if your layover is within 8 hours. We decided to also pre-booked this because we don’t want to go through the hassles of clearing through immigrations every time. If you availed Tigerconnect, all you have to do is head off straight to Transfer Lounge E and skip immigrations. However, you’re not allowed to leave the airport premises as you’re still in transit. Technically you just swing by in whatever country your layover is thus need to pass through immigration if you want to explore the country which is not allowed if you availed this service. With what I’ve read as well, if you have Tigerconnect you need not collect your check in luggage as Tiger will automatically transfer it to the next plane you’re boarding. All you need to do upon arrival at the airport is head straight to Transfer lounge E, collect your boarding pass (check in at a transit hotel/lounge if your layover is too long say 12hrs or so, explore the airport etc.) otherwise wait for your next flight. In my sister and I's experience though we got all our boarding passes all at once as they were  handed to us before we fly out (Manila-Singapore flight) so when it's time for our connecting flight, all we did was find our boarding gate.

Some of my carry-on essentials: Macbook filled with movies
(sorry no inflight  movies for economy flights), medicines, snacks, 
candies in case you feel dizzy, make-up kitpoint and shoot camera, 
wet tissues, coin purse, power bank, mobile phone of course, 
ipod, ear phones, a pen and notebook, sunnies in case you fly 
during the day. 
Anyways, In the mean time, let me share my carry on essentials:
  • Laptop💻 - this is the best solution if you're traveling on a shoestring budget since most economy flights do not offer inflight entertainment. I usually store my favorite movies in my Macbook in case I'll be flying night time and I don't feel like sleeping. 
  • Mobile phone 📱 - you're mobile phone is pretty much useless without wifi and network signal that's why I make sure to store as many of my favorite eBooks to keep me preoccupied or in the event boredom strikes. 😩  And oh, I also use my phone by the way to easily tell the local time in my destination. I often add the city where I'm headed to my phone's clock app so I can easily tell what time it is back home and locally. If you're an iPhone user just simply tap on your clock app and go to world clock > tap on the + sign (upper right) > select the country/city and you're done. 
  • Medicines Kit - we do not anticipate diarrhea, dizziness or catch a cold hours before landing but who knows right? It's always pretty convenient to carry along your prescription drugs and other medicines with you. 💊
  • Snacks🍫 - it's good to carry along snacks with you such as candies or energy bars in case you get hungry anytime (i.e. long queue in the check in counter, sudden flight delays etc.)
  • Camera 📷 - I always carry a back up camera with me in case my camera phone malfunction or worse case scenario I lose it which of course we are not anticipating.
  • Make-up/Vanity kit - I make it a habit to do some last minute touch ups first before the plane lands. You wouldn't want to look haggard and unkempt after a flight.
  • Coin purse/Wallet - No money, may it be cash or credit card, you're doomed. 
  • Passport Holder - best way to keep your passport of course, boarding passes, receipts etc. it's such a shame to rummage through your purse at the boarding gate and you're already running late. 
  • Power Bank - charging your electronic gadgets made easy and convenient in case you do not have access to a power port which usually the case is once you board the plane unless you travel first class. 😉
  • iPod and earphones 🎧 - It's always best to keep your favorite music handy during flights. The engine noise can be quite annoying especially when you're trying to catch some sleep that's why I would rather listen to music until I fall asleep. 
  • Sunnies😎 - I cannot leave the house without my sunnies because they protect my eyes from the sun's glare. If you happen to travel in the morning and picked a window seat, it's always handy to wear  one especially when the sunlight is at its strongest. 
  • Wet and Dry tissues - Touched something dirty or a drink spilled on you? No problem when you carry with you both wet and dry tissues plus it's always sanitary to bring one in case you want to wipe the toilet seat first in the lavatory before you use them, just saying. 
  • Pen and Paper📝 - I  use this to write anything important whenever I feel lazy fishing for my phone. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment