I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Conundrum

Today's another gloomy Sunday morning because of the downpour since last night. It could've been a perfect bed weather day hadn't I shoved my jeans to the washer yesterday and thought it'd be a sunny day today, yeah right. I should pay more attention to the weather report from now on.

Anyways, moving on, my sister and I rushed our niece to the hospital due to Dengue. She's been feverish since Friday which we thought was just a simple case of toothache. She gets feverish every time a tooth is about to fall off so we just gave her some paracetamol and thought about taking her to the Dentist on Monday (the Dentist won't be available until then) until she started vomiting yesterday.

I suggested to get her blood tested since frequent vomiting often calls for urgent medical attention plus I heard there's a Dengue outbreak where I live so I immediately suspected that may be the case and I was right. She was prescribed some meds and Oresol since she's already dehydrated. The challenge was, she refused to eat anything nor drink Oresol so we badly needed to rush her to the hospital before she gets worse or have nose bleeds. We could've rushed her to the hospital to seek immediate medical attention hadn't the alternate Pediatrician advised she takes Oresol first since we weren't able to get a hold of her attending pedia until this morning. My niece was admitted to the hospital this morning and her attending Pediatrician told us that she should've been admitted yesterday because she's already vomiting. We were also informed that Dengue has three phase and my niece has already entered the critical phase. I was like wtf? We were worried sick last night she might start bleeding and stuff that's why we decided to rush her to the hospital this morning to prevent furthermore catastrophe. I'm just amazed with how some medical practitioners nowadays are able to take matters like these so lightly while it can be so life threatening.

So far my niece is alright, currently hydrated because of the IV fluids and is able to consume food in very small portions. I just wish that the local government take some initiatives to combat the outbreak and not wait for the problem to be full blown before it is addressed unless we're waiting for mortality rate to spur up.




0 comments:

Post a Comment