I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.

Mary Anne Radmacher

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Renew

I hate government offices because they're often crowded and manned by grumpy government employees. I only visit government offices if I really have no choice like right now, my passport just expired few days ago and I have plans of travelling again (hopefully) couple of months from now if God willing for my birthday. This is something my sister and I do every year—travel, go to a brand new destination, explore, be lost and be found, collect memories and go back home renewed. 

Going back, we decided to renew our passport last minute yesterday at the DFA office in Baguio instead of travelling back down to Manila to save us both from the hassles of scheduling an appointment and having our passports shipped. We were surprised how easy breezy it was that we didn’t even schedule an appointment. We just swung by and in less than fifteen minutes we’re all set. I thought it’s probably because of the Panagbenga Festival (Flower Festival) everyone seems pretty busy.  It was past 4 p.m already and it’s less than two hours before closing (DFA office hours ends at 6 p.m.) We approached the guard/told him were there to renew our passports. He asked if it’s for ‘application' so we replied it's for ‘renewal' and he insists it’s ‘application.’ To end the conversation we just said ok yes it’s for 'renewal application’ no matter how redundant and confusing it may sound. I don’t understand why DFA uses such term because the word 'renewal' itself is already self explanatory right? You only ‘apply' for something if it’s new gadh.

Information Section

Moving on, we headed straight to the Information section right in front of the glass entrance door and presented all of our documents. We were given this piece of paper which requires the passport holder to provide his/her emergency contact person (with name & phone number), read the waiver and sign. 

Processing Section

As soon as I accomplished the emergency contact form, I handed all my requirements to the person at the ‘RENEWAL’ window. I was asked for my actual ID (I used my TIN ID), was informed about the fee: P1,200 for ‘rush’ processing (10 business days) whilst P950 for ‘regular' processing (which would take roughly 3 weeks if I’m not mistaken). Since I opted to renew yesterday, a Saturday the ‘rush processing’ option automatically applies. I DO have a choice actually, to come in on a weekday and fall in line as early as 5 a.m. OR pay P1,200 for Saturday passport renewal and finish the whole thing in 15-20 minutes. Of course I chose the later because I despise waiting in vain.

Cashier

The Next step is to pay the processing fee at the cashier. You just need to wait for the receipt of course afterwards you will be instructed to wait for your turn at the 'encoding section’ which was the last part. Don’t worry because they will announce your name when your turn comes. I kind of noticed they are much more friendlier compared to DFA peepz in Manila (the last time I renewed my passport there was 2011 so I don't know if it's the same now). 

Encoding Section

The ‘encoding’ part is when you get your picture taken. You will be asked to remove your earrings as always (any earring including piercing studs etc., my sister was asked to take off her Marilyn Monroe piercing). For ladies, you have to tuck your hair behind your ears. Afterwards, you have to proof read/check and confirm your details if they were encoded correctly, scan your ID, get your left and right thumb finger print then finally affix your digital signature. Once everything is set, they will stamp the date and time at the back of your receipt when you could pick up your spankin' new passport. 

Please bring the following requirements before you visit any DFA office to save you time:
  1. One government issued ID (SSS, TIN etc), original & photocopy
  2. Your passport
  3. Photocopy of your passport (the page where your picture is, passport # etc.)
Just a suggestion, if you wish to renew your passport at the DFA office in Baguio, Saturday would be the best time--between 4 to 6 p.m. since this is already their off peak hours thus you will be accommodated right away.

In claiming your passport, please bring the following with you: 
  1. Your old passport (say Goodbye because they will punch holes to your old one)
  2. Your Receipt.
I’m excited to see my new passport because my travel life for the next five years depends on it :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment